Nearly 15 years back, our colony will have a big container where we dump daily waste. Corporation authorities will place another container by taking away the filled one. Sometimes, their vehicle will be delayed. The waste will overflow causing huge smell.
We never thought of clean india at that time. This not only caused difficulties to nearby residents but also for those who travel to schools, colleges and offices through the location.
The and Government concerned officials listened to resident’s feedback. Government of Kerala formed a core group of women called Kudumbasree. Women workers collect waste from each household and dump them in a place where there are no human inhabitants.
Government should realize the situation and take steps mentioned below to promote cleanliness towards their goal of fulfilling Swach Bharat and clean india.
(1) Advertisements should be given in all major newspapers. Local body should create awareness among the people about the need for hygiene environment. They should visit each house and check whether any waste has been dumped. If they found anything, it should be immediately cleaned and teach the house owner to keep the house clean.
(2) Fine should not be imposed initially. Teaching is very important. Once people learned all the mistakes they have done then they will not repeat it.
(3) Awareness leaflets should be circulated with detailed list of diseases caused as a result of unhygienic environment as part of Swach Bharat movement.
(4) Cameras should be placed in various places to catch people dumping waste in public places. If the camera spots waste dumping incidents the concerned person should be given counselling. If the person commits the mistake again then fine should be imposed.
(5) Government and Corporation should tap into the social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. Nowadays, people make use of these tools and hence messages should be posted regularly regarding the need for cleanliness.
(6) There should be a compulsory lesson on cleanliness on the school syllabus. From my point of view, the lessons should be in Biology subject. Students should learn the need for clean environment in addition to the list of various diseases which they will suffer as a result of bad living conditions.
(7) Government should identify empty places where there are no human inhabitants to dump waste. They should never dump and fire waste in places where there are houses. Trivandrum city faced garbage crisis 2 years back when residents in Villapillsala raised alarm and prevented corporation vehicles from entering their vicinity due to acute smell of dumped garbage.
Corporation resisted the move and asked Government to provide police protection. However, Government accepted the demands of residents and began to implement alternative methods for garbage disposal.
In Trivandrum, wastes are dumped in Attakulangara bypass for over last several years. This place is near various houses, shops and even hospitals. However, corporation has realized the situation and already removed all waste from this particular place.
(8) Government should listen to the feedback provided by people. The waste disposal is a continuous job. It is not a work which can be completed within a week or month. People should provide active support for all the efforts of the Government. The concerned authorities should implement proactive measures to dispose the garbage properly.
(9) Government should establish waste treatment plants in a place where there are no houses. Recently, residents in Trivandrum near Chalai objected to a move to establish a waste treatment plant. The project was undertaken by a US based company and they stopped the project work due to objections. People should cooperate with Government to create mini garbage treatment hubs.
The only solution to promote Swach Bharat is – Do not dispose/dump garbage in public places.
Kyuki Bin Bole Ab Nahi Chalega #AbMontuBolega.
Please visit the following websites for more details.
I agree to ensure that this blog post remains accessible in an un-altered state for a minimum of one year.